CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 08, 2011

Review: The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 416 pages

Publisher: Razorbill; 1st edition (July 27th 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1595143084
ISBN-13: 9781595143082
Source: Purchased from National Bookstore
First Sentence"Haven Moore stood on top of a footstool, gazing out the open window in front of her and willing herself not to fidget."
Favorite Line from the Book: "All the most powerful emotions come from chaos-fear, anger, love-especially love. Love is chaos itself. Think about it! Love makes no sense. It shakes you up and spins you around. And then, eventually, it falls apart."
Book Summary:  
Haven Moore can't control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother's house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.

In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.
I honestly don’t know how to review this book. I am stumped, lost for words. 

The plot and cover was wonderful. That was the reason I bought this book. BUT, I really had a hard time going through the first chapters, especially with the ones with Haven Moore (Constance in her past life) in Tennessee. I just cannot relate to Haven then. Yes, I am a Catholic and I also grew up with conservative beliefs. But to think that a person is possessed with demons just because she’s having visions? That I cannot fully comprehend. I cannot even understand how the people condemned Haven simply because she was different. I was ready to give up with this book altogether at this point if it weren’t for Beau, Have’s gay best friend. Their friendship I can definitely relate to. Their friendship is all about giving support to each other. Real concern is there especially when the town considers Haven an outcast. They’re friendship is a genuine one; one that cannot be destroyed by their own differences, even if they had moments wherein Beau wanted to strangle her. 

When Haven went to New York, the story became a little bit fast paced. That’s where I appreciated the book more. The real story began and I continued reading. Iain Morrow (Ethan in his past life) is your typical YA character – rich, unattainable, gorgeous, full of mystery. If I were Haven, I would also fall for him – hard! Iain, unlike Haven, can remember everything from the past. But he only gave Haven just tidbits of it. And that definitely made Haven not to give him her full trust. I have to say, though, that this is the part where I was a bit irritated with Haven’s hardheadedness and impulsive behavior. I appreciate that she has this attitude of taking risks to know the truth, that she is willing to face the truth at all costs, but I just see her so gullible! She doesn’t even think first of all the things being said to her, to really analyze them, before jumping into conclusions. If it weren’t for the mystery of finding out what really happened in the past and who are behind the awful things that went wrong in Constance’s and Ethan’s lives, I would just have to stop reading. 

All in all, I am a bit disappointed with the book. Yes, I love the cover and the premise, but I think that they just didn’t measure up to my expectations. I read “My Name Is Memory” last year, and the novel just didn’t quite reach that level just yet. Maybe this is the reason why I wasn't able to fully immerse myself into the story, who knows? But I guess, comparisons are just inevitable. Anyway, I will see if I am going to read the second book in the series. It is about Beau’s disappearance and I still adore Beau.

Here's the book trailer:



Rating




Best Blogger Tips

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate your comments! Happy reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...