CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 25, 2011

Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 276 pages

PublisherSimon & Schuster Children's Publishing; 1st edition (May 5th 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10
1416968237
ISBN-13
9781416968238
Source: Purchased from Book Depository
First Sentence: "We'd been driving for about seven thousand years.  Or at least that's how it felt."
Favorite Line from the Book
"I say, 'I can't believe you're really here.' He sounds almost shy when he says, 'Me neither.' And then he hesitates. 'Are you still coming with me?'  I cant believe he even has to ask. I would go anywhere. 'Yes,' I tell him. It feels like nothing else exists outside of that word, this moment. There's just us. Everything that happened this past summer and every summer before it, has all led up to this.  To Now." 
Book Summary:  Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.
This was such a fast read for me.  I finished it in just one day.  The novel was beautifully written and has been crafted so intricately that you can actually imagine that you are also with Belly, Jeremiah, Conrad, and Stephen at the Cousins Beach for the summer.  I liked how Jenny Han was able to capture the essence of youth in this novel.  The chapters dedicated for flashbacks were also very nice.  It gave you not only a glimpse, but also making you understand the long history of these teens' friendship.

The love story included in this novel was simply awesome!  I was definitely blown away not because the love story was epic, but because it was so pure.  It made me think about my first love, my first crush.  This book will definitely transport you to your youth and those summers that you treasure most.

I applaud the author for writing such a simple, and yet very heartwarming novel.  She was able to write a novel so detailed that you will feel how it is like to be in love for the first time again.  This novel truly captured my heart forever.

Here's the book trailer:




Rating




Best Blogger Tips

4 comments:

Carina

I've just recently read this book as well and I love it, too. I'm definitely going to read the other to novels of the series as well although I might wait for my summer vacation. Reading this at the beach sounds so perfect. :D

Carina

tthepageturner

Ahh, this is on my to-read pile. Great review, I'm really excited about reading it now. :)

Anonymous

I received the first two books this week for review! I've heard great things about this series and I can't wait to start reading it :D

Anonymous

I just love this series it's so well executed and as you mentioned, heartwarming. Glad to see you enjoyed the first book so much! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate your comments! Happy reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...